Thursday, December 30, 2010

Families in the Book of Mormon and Families Today


So once in awhile I have these moments while I am reading the Book of Mormon where I realize that there is a teaching that is totally reminiscent of basic gospel concepts that prophets and leaders today have taught. Of course this shouldn't really come as a surprise to me as I know that the Book of Mormon and latter-day prophets reflect each other through their same devotion to Christ, but I love it when I can see it so blatantly. And you shall love it as I share. Brace yourselves.
Today I was reading chapter two of Mosiah. Basically the context is this: King Benjamin is speaking to the people of his kingdom. People travel to hear him and even set up tents so that they're family can relax and appreciate the king's words. Verses five and six really stuck out to me.
"They pitched their tents round about, every man according to his family, consisting of his wife, and his sons, and his daughters and their sons and their daughters. ...every man having his tent with the door thereof towards the temple, that thereby they might remain in their tents and hear the words which king Benjamin should speak unto them."
Ok I know this is a lot, but it is rich with gospel truths. Right off the bat the man is mentioned and then the rest of his family; we see that it is his responsibility to encourage his family to live the gospel and listen to righteous leaders. The man's daughter and her children are mentioned giving a sense that the family is supposed to be tight-nit and that the tradition of living righteously is passed on from generation to generation and that they support each other in these values.
The door turned towards the temple is reminiscent of where the family's heart is. The door is not towards their friends who are also attending or towards where they came from, but it is towards a righteous leader. This indicates that they have the desire to gain knowledge. I believe that one of the most important ways in which we grow to become Christ-like is by taking those small steps like listening and desiring and then choosing to act on those things. The tent acts as a safe-haven for the family; they can sit comfortably and still have a strong desire to become more Christ-like. This is what we should strive for in our own homes.
I could go on and on about this (perhaps I already did?) but the point I want to make is this: "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" teaches these same concepts. Parents are responsibility for the welfare of their children, home should be a safe-haven, we follow the prophet.
Similar to those visiting King Benjamin speaking, we listen to and watch General Conference. We are taught similar things that King Benjamin teaches. We are to learn and grow in the gospel as families. When I more thoroughly study the Book of Mormon, I come to realize how relevant it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment