Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Faith and Fear

One of my biggest fears in life is complacency. I am so scared of being so happy with myself that I will stop trying in whatever is important in life. With this fear, comes a tendency to have a hard time being happy with myself and always feeling discouraged that I am not good enough. Good enough for what? That is the question.
I just finished reading a conference talk by Elder Richard G. Scott. It is entitled, "The Transforming Power of Faith and Character." Throughout the entire thing, I couldn't help but think about my own character and where exactly it is going.
The article has a few points and a few quotes that I want to address specifically. "Faith in the power of obedience to the commandments of God will forge strength of character available to you in times of urgent need." What I notice first here is that faith is not just a belief but is something that will compel someone have strength of character. They may know that a decision is difficult but with a deep belief in Christ and the atonement, they will know they can follow the promptings of the Spirit.
Elder Scott quotes President Hugh B. Brown, "Man cannot live without faith, because in life’s adventure the central problem is character-building—which is not a product of logic, but of faith in ideals and sacrificial devotion to them." Brown explains that faith is inherit to living. If we rely solely on logic we miss the ideals of godliness. Sacrifice and following the gospel is not necessarily logical but is key to eternal life. If I were to approach every problem as being character building, I would be practicing the first step of faith necessary for relying on my Savior. If I choose to not let my character be led by the Spirit, I am choosing a more painful route to life's promlems.
I heard this quote used by my Bishop but I am guessing that he got it from Elder Scott. It reads: "We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day." Written so simply, it is obvious that that is the best way we become who we want to be. Inherent to this quote is choice and action. If I choose something and act according to my goals, I will become more of what I want to be. If I act against my goals, or I do not act at all (which we all know in reality is a choice and an action) I move against where I want to be and I can feel the disappointment.
So who do I want to be? I want to be someone who is kind to everybody and attracts all people with my good attitude. I want to be someone that people can rely on (this automatically suggests that I take responsibility- a difficult task for me). I want to be someone that others can see as a friend because I can be honest without being hurtful to them. I want to be funny. I want to go to bed each day knowing that I did my very best for what that day allotted. I want to be someone that others can rely on for being Christlike. That I speak like a disciple of Christ. That I turn off things that are offensive to the Spirit. That when I have a question I turn to God's wisdom rather than my own. That I am not afraid of being good even when I have fallen short before and when others around me may not think it is a big deal. Sure these are ideals, but they are ideals of the Spirit and ideals that will only be logical when logic tells me that to be that way, I got to choose and act that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment