Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Priesthood and the Church

“Give me a young man who has kept himself morally clean and has faithfully attended his Church meetings. Give me a young man who has magnified his priesthood and has earned the Duty to God Award and is an Eagle Scout. Give me a young man who is a seminary graduate and has a burning testimony of the Book of Mormon. Give me such a young man, and I will give you a young man who can perform miracles for the Lord in the mission field and throughout his life."
- President Ezra Taft Benson, Thirteenth president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

This last October, Elder L. Tom Perry of the 12 Apostles addressed the men in the Church about the responsibility of being a worthy priesthood holder. He first recognized how the world is becoming more and more tolerant of wickedness and that we as members of the Church can not be a part of the trend. I really liked what Elder Perry taught about Daniel in the old testament. He said the things that kept him faithful when he was faithful was as follows: (1) keeping his body healthy and clean, (2) developing his mind and becoming wise, (3) being strong and resistant to temptation in a world that is filled with it, and (4) trusting the Lord, especially when he needs His protection. All of these qualities require that a person actively choose to do what is best with himself. Elder Perry acknowledged that not only will doing these things help a young man when he is a deacon and a missionary, but it will also help him stay close to the Lord in whatever the Lord asks him to do throughout his life.

Elder Perry also promised the young priesthood holders that "the Lord is bound by solemn covenant to bless your lives according to your faithfulness." All that is required of them is to listen to the promptings of the Spirit and to follow his direction. Elder Perry also says that in doing so they will be blessed with added "wisdom, knowledge, power and glory."

I know what Elder Perry said is true. I believe that as men act with faith in living the Gospel and act with the power and authority that was given to them when they received the priesthood, that they will be blessed and will bless others throughout their lives. I have seen the result of both young and old men following what Elder Perry has said and I know that they are blessed for it.

1 comment:

  1. I just have one problem with all these posts Robyn, just one- I can't argue and start a philosophical debate if you keep writing stuff that I agree with. Come on! =p

    ReplyDelete